COMMUNITIES IN SCHOOLS INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Communities In Schools of Central Texas is thrilled that you are seeking an internship with our agency! Our CIS Interns gain knowledge and skills while making a difference, developing professional connections, and building their resume.
On Campus Internships:
On campus internships are unpaid between the hours of 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. for either a full semester or entire school year. Interns may not start on campus until they have completed a criminal background check, an application, and attended an information session. This is an incredible learning opportunity for anyone with a strong interest in social work, counseling, education, psychology or human development and family sciences.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Mentoring or tutoring one-on-one with students
- Leading student groups
- Organizing new campus initiatives
- Administrative duties
- Other duties and projects as directed by CIS staff
- The candidate is enrolled in a college degree program and serving the hours for class credit, or to gain required clinical hours toward clinical licensure.
- The requirements for the internship or practicum placement are a minimum of 150 hours over the course of one semester
- Interns with Communities In Schools of Central Texas must undergo and pass a fingerprint criminal background check prior to beginning on campus.
- Comfortable working in a changing and unpredictable environment
- Comfortable working with students who have experiences or life circumstances that may be very different from your own
- Willingness to remain positive and maintain an open mind
- Able to keep your personal, spiritual, and political viewpoints and beliefs to yourself
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis with the deadline to apply for a Fall Internship on August 31, and the deadline for a Spring Internship on January 15.
Placement: If approved as an on-campus intern, you may be given instructions for an interview with a Program Manager for placement at one of our 96 campuses throughout Central Texas at the elementary, middle, or high school level. Following this campus interview, you will receive further instructions regarding our required information session and trainings.
Placement Timeframe: Fall Interns are placed on campuses from May through August, with a start date in mid-September. Spring Interns are placed on campuses from November through January, with a start date in late January.
If successfully placed as an intern you may qualify to serve as an AmeriCorps (AMC) member and earn an Education Award Only (EAO) stipend to use towards your educational costs! Check out this AmeriCorps flyer or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Off Campus Internships:
Contact Community Outreach Specialist, Jana Whittier, at: email@example.com to learn how you can serve in the Volunteer, Human Resources, Partnerships, Development or Communications Departments.