How do I get started as a volunteer?
- To become a Communities In Schools volunteer, you must first submit an online volunteer application and complete an online orientation module. Once you have successfully completed the module, you must then schedule and complete a 30-minute screening interview and complete a 1-hour training.
Is there a minimum age requirement to volunteer?
- All volunteers must be at least 18 years of age or older.
What if I travel out of town frequently?
- If you travel out of town frequently during the work week, our one-time volunteer events may be a better fit for you.
What is the time commitment for volunteers?
- Volunteers meet with their students for a minimum of one hour per week during the school day.
What is required of volunteers?
- All volunteers must complete an application, online orientation, 30-minute one-on-one screening, one-hour training, and criminal background check.
Do you accept volunteers all year round?
- While we accept applications all year-round, volunteer placements end in early March. Applications submitted anytime between March and August will be added to our volunteer waitlist. Once summer trainings are scheduled, applicants will be contacted to RSVP to a training date.
Why do I have to complete a background check to volunteer?
- To ensure the safety of our students and staff, Communities In Schools conducts criminal background checks on all campus-based staff and volunteers.
What if I’m unable to volunteer during the school day?
- One-time volunteer events are available all year round. If you would like to be notified of future volunteer events, please make a note of this in your volunteer application.
When should I expect to start volunteering?
- The volunteer process typically takes around 3-5 weeks from initial application to placement.
Who should I contact if I have additional questions?
- Please contact the volunteer department at 512-464-9767 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.