The Communities In Schools of Central Texas AmeriCorps program is enrolling members to serve for the 2020-2021 program year.
Members are placed at elementary and middle school campuses, where they serve as supportive mentors and tutors to at-risk students. We currently have positions available in Travis, Hays, Bastrop, and Caldwell Counties.
We are seeking self-motivated, committed, responsible applicants with a genuine passion for working with at-risk youth. Experience with children grades 3-8 preferable but not required. Bilingual applicants, military veterans, and individuals with disabilities are welcomed and encouraged to apply. We provide comprehensive training and support to members year-round.
CIS of CT AmeriCorps is an equal opportunity national service program. All applicants are considered without discrimination based on race, color, age, religion, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, disability, or sex.
Dates of Service: September 1, 2020 – June 30, 2021. You must serve for the entire program length. Start and end dates are non-negotiable.
Living Allowance and Other Benefits:
- Full-time members will receive $1,503 per month living allowance that is disbursed monthly. Full-time members * will receive an additional $6,195 education award that can be used for qualified student loans or future educational expenses for up to 7 years. Full-time members are eligible for free healthcare coverage, and assistance with childcare expenses, if income qualifications are met.
- Part-time members will receive a $789 per month living allowance that is disbursed monthly. Part-time members * will receive an additional $3,097 education award that can be used for qualified student loans or future educational expenses for up to 7 years.
* Upon successful completion of service
Full-time members will serve an average of 45 hours per week. Hours are generally Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Service days are required 3 times per service year (usually on Saturday mornings).
Part-time members will serve an average of 25 hours per week. Hours are generally Monday through Friday between 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Hours may be distributed between 3, 4, or 5 days. Service days are required 2 times per service year (usually on Saturday mornings).
* Thanksgiving week, Winter and Spring breaks are considered in the average number of hours.
AmeriCorps members who have served with Communities In Schools in the past have said:
“I don’t know how to tell you and everyone at CIS, thanks so much for allowing me to be a part of something so wonderful!”
“I want to be a social worker, so this year has been such a tremendous opportunity for growth and development. I’ve developed better listening skills, used my Spanish, learned how to relate to kids and gain trust, about boundaries, coping skills, time management, etc. I’m so grateful for this experience! Thank you!”
“Being a CIS AmeriCorps mentor has been the most fulfilling and rewarding experience of my life!”
“My biggest success was my kids realizing the capabilities they have within themselves and thanking me for their success.”
Where Will I Serve?
Communities In Schools of Central Texas (CIS of CT) AmeriCorps members will be placed at one of the many CIS of CT public schools in Travis, Hays, Bastrop, and Caldwell counties. Members are placed at schools based on school needs, geographic location, and elementary or middle school level preference (when possible).
What Will I Do?
Many children need help with their academics, guidance from a trusted adult, and a sense of belonging. As an AmeriCorps member, you will help many young people stay in school and achieve in life by:
- One-on-one mentoring and supportive guidance
- Tutoring and academic support
- Leadership and facilitation of a student service learning project