COMMUNITIES IN SCHOOLS OF CENTRAL TEXAS AMERICORPS PROGRAM DETAILS
Become an AmeriCorps member and make a difference in your community! Mentor and tutor at-risk elementary and middle school students in Central Texas schools. The Communities In Schools of Central Texas AmeriCorps program is enrolling members to serve for the 2017-2018 program year.
Communities In Schools of Central Texas, a non-profit social work agency, provides support by bringing resources and relationships to school campuses – – surrounding students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school, and achieve in life. CIS AmeriCorps members are placed at elementary and middle school campuses, where they serve as supportive mentors and tutors to at-risk students. We currently have positions available on campuses in Travis, Hays, and Caldwell Counties.
We are seeking self-motivated, committed, responsible applicants with a genuine passion for working with at-risk youth. Experience with children grades 3-8 preferable but not required. Bilingual applicants, military veterans, and individuals with disabilities are welcomed and encouraged to apply. We provide comprehensive training and support to members year-round.
Dates of Service: September 1, 2017 – June 30, 2018. You must serve for the entire program length. Start and end dates are non-negotiable.
Stipend and Other Benefits:
- Full-time members will receive $1,270 per month living allowance that is disbursed monthly. Upon successful completion of service, full-time members will receive an additional $5,815.00 education award that can be used for qualified student loans or future educational expenses for up to 7 years. Full-time members are eligible for free healthcare coverage.
- Part-time members will receive a $635 per month living allowance that is disbursed monthly. Upon successful completion of service, part-time members will receive an additional $2,907.50 education award that can be used for qualified student loans or future educational expenses for up to 7 years.
- Full-time members will serve an average of 45 hours per week (Winter and Spring breaks are considered in the average number of hours). Hours are generally Monday through Friday from 7:30 am – 4:30 pm. Service days are required 3 times per service year (usually on Saturday mornings).
- Part-time members will serve an average of 25 hours per week (Winter and Spring breaks are considered in the average number of hours). Hours are generally Monday through Friday from 7:30 am – 4:30 pm. Service days are required 2 times per service year (usually on Saturday mornings).
CIS of CT AmeriCorps is an equal opportunity national service program. All applicants are considered without discrimination based on race, color, age, religion, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, disability, or sex.
- Complete our application. Once you apply online, you will receive a confirmation page detailing the next steps in the process. Please note that we do not accept resumes and cover letters; you must fill out our online application.
- Request professional references submit using this Reference Form. Please note that part-time and full-time applicants must submit two reference forms from professional contacts. Those applying for EAO positions only need to submit one reference form from a professional contact. References can submit the reference form via e-mail.
- Begin to gather the required documentation: a valid driver’s license; your birth certificate or a valid U.S. passport; and your social security card. Failure to provide these documents at your interview will delay or revoke your acceptance into the program.
- We will contact you about setting up an interview time after it has been determined that you meet our qualifications.
- Let the Communities In Schools of Central Texas AmeriCorps staff know if you have any questions! We can be reached at email@example.com or (512) 464-9733.
AmeriCorps members who have served with Communities In Schools in the past have said:
“I don’t know how to tell you and everyone at CIS, thanks so much for allowing me to be a part of something so wonderful!”
“I want to be a social worker, so this year has been such a tremendous opportunity for growth and development. I’ve developed better listening skills, used my Spanish, learned how to relate to kids and gain trust, about boundaries, coping skills, time management, etc. I’m so grateful for this experience! Thank you!”
“Being a CIS AmeriCorps mentor has been the most fulfilling and rewarding experience of my life!”
“My biggest success was my kids realizing the capabilities they have within themselves and thanking me for their success.”
Where Will I Serve?
Communities In Schools of Central Texas (CIS of CT) AmeriCorps members will be placed at one of the many CIS of CT public schools in Travis, Hays, and Caldwell counties. Members are placed at schools based on school needs and personal preferences (when possible).
What Will I Do?
Many children need help with their academics, guidance from an older person, and a sense of belonging. As a Communities In Schools of Central Texas AmeriCorps member you will serve in Austin-area public schools helping dozens of young people achieve some of their needs by providing:
- Mentoring and supportive guidance
- Tutoring and academic support
- Leadership and facilitation of a student service learning project